Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ron[ny] Has Little Lamb

Dan at Between the Links and Jeff at Politics in Alabama have already covered the news that Ron Sparks, the current Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries, will not run against Jeff Sessions next year for U.S. Senate. From the media report, Sparks has stated that his reason is that Vivian Figures, a member of the Alabama House of Representatives, is planning to run. He claims that he believes that the only way a Democrat can beat the Republican incumbent is for the Democrat to avoid a primary battle and the expenses associated with it, thus saving the money for the general election fight.
 
I think though that if we apply Occam's Razor, the reason behind Sparks' and Figures' respective moves is that they are both assured that Session will win regardless of who the Democratic candidate is. Therefore, the Democratic Party needs a sacrificial lamb. With Sparks' star on the rise, he is not to be that lamb. The Democrats, and Sparks himself, want to save Sparks for another day for a contest that is winnable.  Such as the 2010 governor's race.
 
At one time, the Democrats might have been tempted to not even field a candidate for that race. However, they learned in the 2000 general election that not fielding a candidate for a statewide office can help a minor political party (such as the Libertarians that year) meet the requirements to maintain ballot access for the next election cycle.  Without opposition from the Democratic Party that year in a Supreme Court contest, a Libertarian candidate received about 21% of the vote, one point higher than was necessary for the Libertarians to maintain ballot access for the 2002 election.  The Democrats aren't going to give a modest helping hand to a minor party again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to my friend Loretta Nall I've just discovered your blog and I will add it to those that I try to read every day. Welcome to the Alabama blogosphere.

I don't blog, but I'm an amateur political activist with a website you're invited to visit @ www.doctoriq.com which I use in an effort to help Alabama become the 25th Initiative and Referendum state. Several Alabama bloggers help me out at that, notably Dan at Between the Links.

From time to time I email items to our state bloggers that they may want to use, and I'd add you to my email list if you would want me to, but I don't see a way to contact you by email on your blog. If you'd like to be added but don't want to expose your email address here, you can send an email to my website by addressing it to driq@doctoriq.com to let me know.

BTW, we're practically neighbors since I live in Elmore County just outside of Wetumpka in the Redland area.